Upcoming APABA TB Events:
10/19/19 APABA-TB Family and Friends Picnic
Where: 11:00 am – 3:00 pm at Cypress Point Park, Tampa
RSVP: Use this link to RSVP & Sign Up: https://forms.gle/ab5p4FQNgC5f9Nee7
- If you have trouble with the link, please email Debbie S. Crockett directly at email@example.com .
- Let’s share in food, fun, and games for a relaxing family friendly day! Bring your competitive spirit for games like ladder ball, bocce, corn hole, and volleyball. Feel free to invite to former members (who have not renewed yet!) & prospective new members!
- Here are links to:
o Info about Cypress Point Park. https://www.tampagov.net/parks-and-recreation/featured-parks/cypress-point-park
o Picnic Shelter & Green Space Rules. https://www.tampagov.net/sites/default/files/special-events-coordination/images/shelter_and_greenspace_rules_revised_5-9-17.pdf
10/24/19 APABA-TB and NAAAP Asian American Legal Forum
Where: 6-8 pm at THEA, 1104 E Twiggs St. #300, Tampa FL 33602
Registration Link: https://asianamericanlegalpanel.eventbrite.com/
- APABA-TB and NAAAP Tampa Bay have joined forces to present everyone with a meaningful event/program – one that will not only allow you to meet and network with Asian professionals from various professional backgrounds in the Tampa Bay Area, but also give you the chance to engage in an interactive panel that will cover timely and useful topics/issues involving employment law, civil rights, and investment options/benefits/risks. Our panelists and moderator are prominent Asian attorneys in their specialty areas. Whether you are an employee, contractor, employer/business owner, entrepreneur, law student, college student, etc., this event will be useful to/for you!
- You do NOT need to be an Asian to attend! You do NOT need to be an APABA-TB or NAAAP member to attend! (But of course, we would love for you to join either or both organizations!) Everyone is welcome to attend this event! We expect attendance of over 100 professionals!
- It is our goal to showcase how deeply committed our Tampa Bay professional and legal communities are to diversity. If you or your company/firm would like to support this event, please see attached sponsorship materials.
- Please feel free to contact Zarra Elias at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about this event.
2/7/20 APABA-TB’s Chinese New Year Celebration
More details to follow
PAST APABA-TB EVENTS:
October 3, 2019
HCBA Bench Bar Luncheon
APABA-TB Members attended another packed Hillsborough County Bar Association Bench Bar Luncheon on October 3, 2019.
Fun fact: Three of the four pictured below are part/pure Filipinas.
- The Honorable Andrea Teves Smith of the Florida Second District Court of Appeal
- Zarra Elias-Wong, APABA-TB President
Angela Greenwalt, one of APABA-TB’s newest members
(Alicia Whiting-Bozich, you can also be an honorary Filipina!)
Another fun fact: October is Filipino American History Month!
Mabuhay ang mga Pilipino sa Amerika!
September 19, 2019
“Kung may itinanim, may aanihin.”
On behalf of APABA-TB, Zarra Elias-Wong and Haksoo Stephen Lee had the privilege of
attending and presenting at the Investiture of Judge Jessica G. Costello today. It was a
remarkable day celebrating the investiture of a remarkable individual – one who worked
tirelessly to get to where she’s at and continues to inspire and impress those around her.
Judge Costello, APABA-TB could not be more pleased with your joining our esteemed judiciary
of the 13th Judicial Circuit.
For your continued service to the community, we say – thank you, salamat, cảm ơn bạn, 謝謝 (xie xie), 감사합니다 (gamsahabnida)!
NAPABA – National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
APABA-TB Welcome Back Membership Reception
September 11, 2019
APABA-TB members at the Hillsborough County Bar Association Welcome Back Membership Reception! Kudos to HCBA Madam President (Past APABA-TB Board Member) Grace Yang for changing it up this year – what a vibrant and fun way to start the HCBA year!
HCBA Diversity and Inclusion Networking Social
September 7, 2019
Haksoo Stephen Lee and Zarra Elias-Wong of APABA-TB attended another
successful Hillsborough County Bar Assoc. Diversity and Inclusion Networking Social!
A few key points we shared with law students who visited us:
– Build your network early – do not wait until you are in your final year in law school to network
– Do it NOW!
– Follow up and stay in touch with those with whom you connected at networking events.
– Connect with legal professionals from different backgrounds. Join different bar associations as a law student, such as APABA-TB! You do not have to be Asian or Pacific Islander to be our member. Diversify your network
Congratulations once again, HCBA! Thank you for having APABA-TB!
p.s. Yes, our freebies were Pocky and Panda cookies! #wefeedyummyfood
p.p.s. We also offered free membership to law students who visited our
The Investiture of Judge Thomas Palermo
August 23, 2019
“It is essential that the judiciary be made up of judges who directly reflect the make-up of the communities in which they serve.”
APABA-TB was extremely honored to celebrate the investiture of Judge Thomas Palermo. It was a standing-room only crowd/event, attended by esteemed Florida judges (from the
Thirteenth Judicial Circuit, Middle District of Florida, and Second DCA), Florida Secretary of State/The Honorable Laurel Lee, Tampa Mayor Jane Castor, and many more well-respected city and state representatives.
Representing APABA-TB were Vice President Beejal Thakore, Immediate Past
President Haksoo Stephen Lee, and current President Zarra Elias-Wong. Zarra delivered the remarks on behalf of APABA-TB and presented Judge Palermo with a Lucky Bamboo plant, which signifies health, happiness, and good fortune.
Congratulations once again, Judge Palermo. We wish you continued prosperity in your new role!
Pillipino American Association of Tampa Bay’s Barrio Fiesta
August 18, 2019
APABA-TB and the Bay Area Legal Services are at the Barrio Fiesta!
APABA-TB is proud to sponsor the Bay Area Legal Services’ attendance at the Barrio Fiesta. Bay Area Legal Services is a regional, nonprofit public interest law firm dedicated to providing assistance to those with limited access to legal services.
The majority of Bay Area Legal Services’ funding supports legal assistance to lower-income and vulnerable members of our communities. Most clients must meet certain financial and legal residency requirements. Legal advice will not be provided on-site at the event.
Special thanks to Bay Area Legal Services Managing Attorney Mary Haberland and her team members Anne Whitaker, Nereida Rubio, and Devan Kreitzer for joining APABA-TB
Representatives Zarra Elias-Wong, Haksoo Stephen Lee, and Harrison Standley at this
wonderful and fun event!
#weaimtoserve #APABATBgivesback Bay Area Legal Services The Florida Bar
The Florida Bar Voluntary Bar Leaders Conference
July 12, 2019
APABA-TB is at the The Florida Bar 2019 Voluntary Bar Leaders Conference!
APABA-TB President Zarra Elias-Wong, Secretary Haksoo Stephen Lee, Board Member Debbie Sines Crockett, and Past Board Member/Hillsborough County Bar Association President Grace
Yang are representing us!
#VBLC19 #VBLC2019 #FloridaBar # NAPABA – National Asian Pacific American Bar
June 6, 2019
What a remarkable day! APABA-TB’s beloved former Board Member Grace Yang was sworn in today as the first Asian Hillsborough County Bar Association President.
APABA-TB President Zarra Elias-Wong, Board Member Steve Berlin, and members Jeanie Kang and Alicia Whiting-Bozich attended this packed HCBA celebration.
APABA-TB cannot thank Grace enough for her continued guidance and support, and we look forward to working with her and participating in all the upcoming phenomenal HCBA events this year!
June 6, 2019
APABA-TB is extremely proud to present this event with the Tampa Bay Chapter of the Federal Bar Association.
May 17, 2019
APABA-TB Members Sarah Lahlou-Amine and Grace Yang at Justice Peggy Quince’s
May 8, 2010
APABA Members attending another excellent Hillsborough County Bar Association Law Day Membership Luncheon! — with Haksoo Stephen Lee, Zarra Elias-Wong, Jeanie Kang, Coc Van Ignaut and Lee Law Group, PLLC.
April 22, 2019
APABA Tampa Bay supporting GEBA’s 36th Annual Scholarship Banquet!
Haksoo Stephen Lee, Debbie Sines Crockett, Zarra Elias-Wong, Jeanie Kang
APABA TB Happy Hour Networking Social
APABA Tampa Bay chapter members enjoying the April 4th Happy Hour event at the Capital Grille.
HCBA Diversity Networking Social
The APABA Tampa Bay chapter manning their display at the Hillsborough County Bar Association’s Diversity Networking Social on February 18, 2017
South East Regional Conference
Here are pictures from the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association’s South East Regional Conference on June 21, 2013. (Click to enlarge)
For additional pictures, visit the Facebook page of Ms. Shivan Sarna’s publicist and media consultant, Mr. Jaime Rooke-Sherman, here.